A recent question from Allison on the BabyGoodBuys Facebook page reminded me that I'm not the only one who's been wanting to hear readers' thoughts on video baby monitors.
We bought a MobiCam Audio Video Baby Monitoring System ($109) just before Haiden, my oldest, turned one. The Amazon reviews are spotty, and I tend to agree with some of the negative points, since the audio feed intermittently goes out. That being said, the MobiCam worked well when I most needed it, but it doesn't seem to be a product that lasts.
There have been many video baby monitors introduced to the market since I shopped for one. I'm listing some of the most popular ones below, but I really want to know, Do you have a video baby monitor? and Do you like it?
Here are some of the bestsellers:
The Summer Infant Day & Night handheld color video monitor is Amazon's bestselling baby monitor, and the ranking includes audio-only devices! Priced at just under $140, this is in the middle range for video monitors. Amazon customer reviews give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars.
The Motorola Digital Video Monitor is the lowest-priced video monitor I found. At $85, this is definitely a good buy for the price. Amazon reviews average 3.5 out of 5 stars.
The Summer Infant Complete Coverage Color Video Monitor with LCD Screen and Handheld Unit is firmly the highest-priced baby monitor in the bestsellers category. List price is $300, Amazon's sale price is currently $275. Amazon customer reviews average 3.5 out of 5 stars.
The Samsung Wireless Video Security Monitoring System looks like it's the video baby monitor with the best reviews from customers. Granted, only six people have reviewed it, but you can take a look and see that they're all positive (and a little surprised that a security camera functions so well as a baby monitor!). Priced at $175, this is a bit higher than other video monitors. Amazon customer reviews average 4.5 out of 5 stars.
The First Years Home & Away portable video monitor looks like it's the newest to the market. It has a couple of great reviews and the great feature of being able to view the video on Skype! List price is $190, and Amazon has it priced at $144 right now.
Those are the standouts in the bestselling category. Here are a few other popular video baby monitors:
- Lorex LIVE snap Video Baby Monitor :: 3.5 stars :: was $400, NOW $129.99
- Levana BABYVIEW20 Digital Wireless Baby Monitor :: 3.5 stars :: was $340, NOW $150
- Levana Safe N'See Digital Video Baby Monitor :: 3.5 stars :: $159.99
- Motorola Digital Video Monitor w/ Room Temp Thermometer :: 4 stars :: was $200, NOW $169.94
- Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Monitor w/ Screen :: 4 stars :: was $200, NOW $187.98
- Philips AVENT Digital Video Baby Monitor :: 3.5 stars :: was $220, NOW $169.99
- Levana ClearVu Digital Video Baby Monitor & Night Light :: 3.5 stars :: $140
- Summer Infant Day & Night Flat Screen Color Monitor w/ LCD Screen :: 3.5 stars :: was $200, NOW $179.99
- Mobicam DXR Digital Monitoring System :: 3.5 stars :: was $230, NOW $189.99
- Summer Infant Baby Touch Digital Color Monitor :: 4 out of 5 stars :: was $250, NOW $220.29
If you have one of these or a different video baby monitor, we want to know if you like it! Please leave a comment below if you want to answer one or more of the following questions: