How to cure the stomach flu fast
Oh, the stomach flu. It just hit my family so hard! This wasn't any old bug. This was the kind that empties you out and leaves you sore and spent for long after the first signs of illness.
My husband was hospitalized due to the violent illness and dehydration, I was confined to my bed for close to 24 hours, and my poor parents were taking care of my daughter and my sick son until my mom caught the bug late last night!
After my husband remained in the hospital overnight, he was discharged yesterday and I took him home so we could both recover.
We crawled out of bed early this morning to drive 150 miles to get our babies (and allow my mom to rest!) and we are finally back home and we all seem to be close to recovered.
I was desperate to figure out how to cure the stomach flu fast so I'd know for next time! After a few calls to an on-call nurse and my sister, a mother of four and my #1 source for parenting advice, I learned that there really is no real fast cure for the stomach flu.
There are, however, a few things almost everyone does that actually makes any stomach bug worse.
Mistakes that make the stomach flu worse
The first thing that makes the stomach flu worse is drinking any fluids immediately after vomiting. I know we're warned over and over that we need to stay dehydrated. It's true, dehydration is a huge health risk.
But drinking anything right after you've thrown up due to a stomach bug is a bad idea. You'll likely throw up everything you drank plus more fluids in your system. Drinking liquids right away can make you even more dehydrated than you were before!
Eating is another big no-no. There's nothing pleasant about vomiting, so don't give your body anything to reject until after you're sure it can handle simpler things.
Most people think food is so important to regain strength and heal the body. It's not untrue, but it's not nearly as necessary as you might think. The human body can go up to 21 days without food, but only a few days without water. So focus on the plan to keep water down long before you even think about food.
See the list below for what you should drink, then eat when you have the stomach flu. There's a certain order and timeline you should follow to get on the road to recovery as soon as you possibly can!
Ice chips for the stomach flu
If you're looking for how to cure a stomach virus fast, you'll definitely want to follow these directions now, as they'll help you recover as quickly as possible!
How to cure the stomach flu
- Don't eat or drink anything until 2 hours after vomiting.
- After 2 hours without vomiting, start with ice chips to see if your body is strong enough to handle anything.
- After you can handle ice chips, take small sips of cold, clear liquids every 10-20 minutes.
- See how to make homemade Pedialyte instead of using over-the-counter electrolyte replacers. It takes about 30 seconds and you'll be happy you didn't have to run to the store!
- Do not eat anything for 4-6 hours after your body is able to accept liquids without vomiting.
- After you keep liquid down for at least 4 hours, reintroduce gentle, easy foods. Start by eating Jello, broth and dry toast. Think simple, low-protein foods that are easy to digest.
- If your little one hasn't had a wet diaper in 12+ hours, call the doctor for advice.
If you have any concerns, be sure to contact a doctor or get to a hospital immediately! While we clearly had the same bug, my husband was much, much sicker than me. He needed medical care, while I just needed time and sleep to recover.
I certainly hope none of you suffer from this sickness, because it's absolutely miserable! If you do, however, the tips above may help you (and your stomach) have a better recovery!