I love to bake, but making any sort of cutout cookie can challenge my patience and short attention span! Plus, finding a good gingerbread cookies recipe is a challenge in itself!
However, both my little ones have been sick and Haiden has been requesting gingerbread men cookies for the past several days. Since I'd do my best to give my kids anything they wanted, especially when they're unwell, making cookies doesn't seem like such a chore 🙂
I also like using my Nordicware half-sheet pans as cookie sheets. They're sturdy, they heat evenly and they're big–maximizing the amount of cookies I can get into the oven at the same time!
This is my favorite gingerbread cookies recipe. I like that it comes together easily. To be honest, I usually dump all the ingredients but the flour into the bowl of my KitchenAid pro series mixer, cream them together, then slowly add the flour. It makes mixing up the dough a snap!
Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions for the Gingerbread Cookies recipe:
- Cream the butter, shortening and the sugar together. Add the egg, vanilla and molasses and mix until well-blended.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves and salt, mixing until well combined. Use a wooden spoon if your mixer can't handle it.
- Transfer the dough to an airtight container and chill for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick. (this is the perfect rolling pin. Seriously.)
- Use cookie cutters to cut out the dough in Gingerbread Men or other shapes
- Place cookies 1″ apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are light brown along the edges.
More from my site