Most of the time I think New Year's resolutions are kind of lame. First, we've all heard the depressing statistics that nearly all resolutions are lost within weeks of making them. Second, why wait for a new year to make a change? There's nothing magical about January 1st that will make something easier. If I want to do something, I should just do it! Besides, I'm in that camp where my resolutions are never kept. Really. In the past I've wanted to learn how to play the bagpipes, speak a new language, travel more, waste less…the list goes on!
With that, I'm making a list of goals for both this site and for myself. Note that they're not resolutions, and I won't be devastated if I don't accomplish them, but I'm listing them out and posting them online to make myself more accountable. I'm so much more motivated to get something done if I share it with other people! Here's what I want to get done in 2010:
Goals for www.babygoodbuys.com:
- Share more of myself with you, my readers. I know some of you faithfully visit this site every day looking for bargains and deals. I occasionally inject my personal opinion or recommendation, but lately I've been feeling like this site is pretty cold. I'm a private person, but I've realized that I want to get to know you, and I want you to know me!
- Do more reviews and giveaways. I love trying new products and sharing my opinions, and I especially love giving away products! I want to spoil my readers as much as possible, and I want to bring the best to you!
- Be more consistent with posting diaper and formula deals. I am confident that I bring you the best deals as quickly as I possibly can, but I know that sometimes you can't wait for the best deal. Sometimes you need diapers today! Diapers and formula are on sale at a drug store or bigger retailer nearly every week, and I want you to know where you should go when you can't wait for a stock-up sale.
- Learn more about you! I know that most of you are moms, but I don't know how many moms-to-be, dads, or others visit this site. I want to put up a poll to learn about you. This will help me bring even better deals and tailor what I'm posting to fit you!
- Switch to a new blogging platform. This one is a big Maybe at this point. I've heard some scary things about Blogger (what I'm using right now) sites going down for no apparent reason, and I don't want that to happen here. I'm learning more about other ways to blog that don't involve major changes for you, the readers. Of course I'll warn you if I choose to make a change!
- Become a better money manager. I'm a saver by nature, and my husband usually follows the loose saving and spending plan I've come up with. While I don't think we can create and stick to a strict budget for everything we spend, I want to set a food budget and start tracking our spending on groceries and restaurants.
- Become a better coupon shopper. Before I had my first baby in July 2008, I was really good at shopping with coupons at Target, CVS and Walgreens. I mean really good. I had big stockpiles of a wide variety of products, and I could “shop” from my basement for just about everything. Since having kids, I've slipped with the excuse of being too busy or tired to keep up with coupon clipping and shopping. That's going to change in the new year.
- Start Menu Planning: Along with my first resolution of tracking food spending, I think menu plans are the secret to blissful living for me! On the weeks when my husband and I actually sit down to plan a week's worth of meals, I am so much more relaxed at the end of each day. This also helps us use what's in our pantry, so hopefully it will reduce our grocery budget, too!
There. I think that's a reasonable list of goals I could (and should) actually accomplish! For the record, I still don't know how to play the bagpipes. At this point in my life, I don't think it's an appropriate goal, but someday I'll learn!
Do you have goals or resolutions for the new year? Post a comment and share them here!