STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathmatics, which means a lot of parents are looking for the best educational baby toys for STEM learning.
Let’s start at the beginning. If you’re a parent or if you’re dialed into educational issues and news, you know that STEM is a huge buzzword right now.
There’s no denying that science, technology and math are key components to any schooling, but STEM isn’t just about teaching kids computers and complex math.
The elements of STEM start being developed long before little ones know how to add and subtract, and far before they know the difference between structural and civil engineering!
STEM skills in babies and toddlers are developed naturally by babies exploring and learning about the world, and we can give our babies fun ways to develop their STEM foundation through toys and activities.
I’m a firm believer in fun, and I also believe that early education should not feel like work.
Meaning: attempts to educate babies and toddlers should focus on fun first. Learning is an amazing byproduct that comes out of almost every activity a child does!
I have another belief regarding educational baby toys for STEM learning: the toys should be low or no-tech.
Non-electric toys just seem better for developing fine motor skills. It also puts the baby in the position of the leader, while battery-operated toys generally have the toy dictate to your child how it’s supposed to be used.
Think about it: electronics and technology only become more common as our babies grow. This is your chance to give your child exposure to the wonder of simplicity.
What should you look for in educational baby toys for STEM learning?
Seek out toys that encourage one or more of the following ideas or activities:
- Sequencing (putting things in order)
- Speed and distance
- Cause and effect
- Identifying shapes, numbers and/or letters
- Spatial sense
- Problem solving
- Building or balancing
Note: While I was compiling this list of top educational baby toys for STEM learning I couldn’t help but include some toys that are more appropriate for two or three year-olds. There are so many great toys to check out, but just be aware of the recommended ages before you buy them.
It’s also worth noting that I’ve never minded when my own kids received toys that were slightly outside of their age group. It’s fun to set aside a toy until they’re the right age for it. When they do hit that age it’s like Christmas or a birthday all over again!
Top 100 Educational Baby Toys for STEM Learning:
- The First Years Stacking Up Cups
- Classic Wooden First Bead Maze
- Stack and Count Parking Garage
- Hide N Squeak Eggs
- Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Corn Popper
- PlanToys Roller
- Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Take-Along Shape Sorter Baby Toy
- Little Tikes Ball, Drop and Roll
- Fisher-Price Rattle ‘n Rock Maracas Musical
- Discover and Learn Plui Rain Cloud Tub Toy
- Classic Wooden Shape Sorting Cube with 12 shapes
- B. One Two Squeeze Blocks
- Earlyears Squeak ‘n Stack Blocks Baby Toy
- Infantino Textured Ball multi-set
- Haba Magica Clutching toy
- Melissa & Doug Match & Roll Shape Sorter
- Boon Water Bugs Floating Bath Toys with Net
- Melissa & Doug Nesting, Pairing, Stacking and Sorting Garages and Cars set
- Hohner Kids Mini Rainmaker Rainstick
- The Original Toy Company Pop Up Fire Truck
- PlanToys Cone Sorting
- Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby’s First Blocks
- Mega Bloks First Builders Big Building Bag
- Melissa & Doug Flip Fish Toy
- Boon Cast Fishing Pole
- Sassy Developmental Sensory Ball Set
- Munchkin Caterpillar Spillers Stacking Cups
- Hohner 4 Piece Baby Band
- Playskool Busy Poppin’ Pals Toy
- Fisher-Price Easy Stack ‘n Sounds Blocks
- Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Rock-a-Stack
- Melissa & Doug First Shapes Jumbo Knob Puzzle
- Skip Hop Dunks Floating Toy Set
- VTech Stack and Sing Rings
- TOMY Choo-Choo Loop Toy Vehicle
- Grimm’s Large Wooden Rainbow Conical Stacking Tower Made in Germany
- BUCKLE TOY Toddler Early Learning Basic Life Skills Children’s Plush Travel Activity
- Melissa & Doug Peek-a-Boo Bear
- Fat Brain Toys SpinAgain
- Boon Jellies Suction Cup Toys
- Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Fish and Count Learning Game
- Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Match and Build Blocks
- John Deere Barnyard Shape Sorter
- Vidatoy 10 Hole Cube for Shape Sorter and Maths Learning Wooden Toys
- TUPPERWARE Shape O Ball Toy
- Battat Sound Puzzle Box
- Little Tikes DiscoverSounds Shape, Sort and Scatter
- Hape Shake and Match Shape Sorter (7 Pieces)
- Kiddopotamus King of the Shape Sorters Toy
- Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Stacking Blocks
- Melissa & Doug Locks & Latches Board
- Bright Starts Drop & Giggle
- Sassy Pop n’ Push Car
- Plan Toys Stacking Tree
- Battat Sort and Stack Toy
- ALEX Toys Little Hands Button Art
- Lauri Tall-Stacker Number Express
- Learning Resources Letter Construction Activity Set
- Boon Pipes Water Pipes Bath Toy
- Peg Board Set – Montessori Toy for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Sassy Bucket Of Beads
- Munchkin Float and Play Bubbles Toy
- Learning Resources Mini Muffin Match Up
- 30 Jumbo Toddler Lacing & Montessori Stringing Beads
- Melissa & Doug Bead Sequencing Set
- Pound Ball Chutes and Slides
- Educational Insights Shapes Beanbags Set
- Edushape Giant Tangram
- Tube Locks Set with Wheels and Music Parts
- Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks
- Gear Building Toy Set – Interlocking Learning Blocks
- Gearation Refrigerator Magnets
- LEGO DUPLO My First Number Train Building Set
- LEGO DUPLO Creative Play All-in-One-Green-Box-of-Fun
- LEGO DUPLO Creative Play All-in-One-Pink-Box-of-Fun
- O Ball Anyway Stacker Toy
- Squigz Starter 24 piece set
- Educational Insights Design & Drill Activity Center
- VTech Drop & Go Dump Truck
- Fisher-Price Little People City Skyway
- VIAHART Brain Flakes 500 Piece Interlocking Discs
- Bristle Block Spinaroos
- Tinkertoy Super Building Set
- Cup Up 50 building set
- Tot Tube – Tunnel Ramp Race Track
- Tall Stacker Mighty Monkey Pegs & Pegboard Set
- All About Today Board
- Grimm’s Set of 4 Wooden Rainbow-Colored Rocking Boat Blocks
- Haba Baby’s First Blocks
- Lauri Tall-Stacker Building Set
- Learning Resources Mathlink Cubes
- Guidecraft 3D Feel & Find Play Set
- 68-Piece Foam Wonder Blocks
- Melissa & Doug 100-Piece Wood Blocks Set
- Play-Doh Diggin’ Rigs Buzzsaw Playset
- Dough Tools – 5 Piece Set
- Learning Resources Gears! Gears! Gears!
- Step2 WaterWheel Activity Play Table
- Hape Totally Amazing Roller Derby Rolling Maze
- Haba Lighthouse Stacking Game
- HABA Fun with Sounds Wooden Discovery Blocks
- Tolo Abacus Rattle
- Grimm’s Giant Rainbow Wooden Marbles
Do you have any baby toys you can recommend for STEM learning?
Great list of toys. This is the best type toy that every kid can get. Thank you!
Qhouse kids|baby backpack diaper bag says
This is really a great post .,Thanks you for sharing such an wonderful well researched list ,i’m always very confused what kind of gifts to buy for my nephew and I am looking for an useful toys which can encourage him in learning, these are really the perfect gifts for him. Hope he would love to play and learn with them.
Totally agree with you about setting toys aside for later. I have a 9 month old and have come across hot deals on educational toys for more like 2 year olds and I scoop them up for later. Christmas. Boom. Done. :)-