I’ve always wanted to know how to make a diaper cake. They’re so cute and fun, and it seems that you can included just about any sort of baby gift when you make your own diaper cake!
Side note: Did you know that people living in England call diapers nappies? That’s why I’ll refer to some of these designs as nappy cakes.
As it turns out, it’s pretty easy to find a free diaper cake tutorial online, and it’s a pretty straightforward process to learn. The results are fun and especially useful for new parents!
Many of the diaper cake tutorials call for flannel baby blankets or receiving blankets. I struggle with mixing and matching fabrics, so I love these 4-packs of coordinated receiving blankets.
The patterns are beautiful and modern, and the blankets packaged together are already matched up to compliment each other. They come in shades of blue, pink and gender-neutral selections at $9-$12 for a 5-pack, so they’re a great price, too!
How to make a Diaper Cake
1. This How to make a baby bathtub diaper cake been my favorite project that I’ve ever done…and it was so easy! Check out my baby bathtub diaper cake tutorial!
2. Beautiful Matters has what looks like the most artfully inspired instructions for how to make a diaper cake. I love that wide giraffe-print ribbon or you could really mix it up with this pack of 10 different animal-print ribbons!
6. Khair Online has a thorough tutorial and the results are stunning!
7. This DIY owl diaper cake by Overdramatic Party Girl is simply adorable! Luvable Friends makes 4-packs of those soft receiving blankets packaged in coordinating colors. It makes it easy to tie the “layers” together.
8. I love this diaper cake tutorial for a fondant style cake! Take a look at the beautiful coordinating designs of these receiving blankets for a selection that’s already all matched for you.
9. AlliCrafts has detailed photo instructions for how to make this one.
10. I love that this tutorial at Alpha Mom has a bottle of champagne hidden in the middle! That Ugly Doll can be switched out for one in almost any color of the rainbow, too.
11. It Happens in a Blink assumes you can get the diaper cake tutorial elsewhere, and shows you how to make an adorable bird cake.
12. How to make a 4-wheeler diaper cake.
13. I like that The Modest Homestead uses clear elastic hair ties to roll up the diapers in her diaper cake tutorial.
14. How to make a train diaper cake.
40. Here are instructions from The Bean Sprout Notes for how to make a no roll diaper cake.
16. Check out Maiden D’Shade and her Tricycle Diaper Cake tutorial.
17. This Cat in the Hat cake by Hammer and Thread is perfect for a Dr. Seuss baby shower!
18. Grits and Giggles shows how to make a diaper cake with “no Elmo peeking out of the side of the cake.”
19. See how to make a 4 tier diaper cake and WOW the mom-to-be!
20. See how to make a tractor diaper cake.
21. Oh my. This tutorial at The Junk House shows how to decorate a cake with flowers.
22. Here’s some nice instructions for how to make a cloth diaper cake.
This Centerpiece from Our Best Bites resulted in a gorgeous diaper cake!
24. The DIY corset diaper cake is a must-see!
25. This is a simple cloth diaper cake made with prefold cloth diapers.
26. I’m loving this sturdy DIY diaper cake.
27. I like the use of scrapbook paper in this this DIY diaper cake tutorial.
28. Learn how to make a tricycle diaper cake!
29. Lizzi’s instructions have her creation stabilized with a paper towel tube.
30. This tutorial shows you how to make a stunning diaper cake!
31. This sweet design with with toys is labeled with baby’s name!
32. Learn how to make a diaper cake with a bottle of wine in the middle.
33. Here’s a tutorial that shows how Caffeinated Conversations made twin diaper cakes for twin boys!
34. This is a DIY Diaper Cake basket that you can fill with smaller presents!
35. Here’s a lovely boutique-style diaper cake tutorial.
36. Sun Scholars shows how to use a big bottle of baby shampoo as the base.
37. Learn how to make a cloth diaper cake!
38. See how to add decorations to a diaper cake.
39. This DIY diaper cake uses round cake pans to make perfect circles.
40. Use ric rac to resemble frosting when making a diaper cake like Sweet Songbird.
41. I love that Coffee, Crafts and Cupcakes shows how to use pinning blankets in a diaper cake.
42. Learn how to make a really big diaper cake with a giraffe theme!
43. The receiving blankets, satin polka dot ribbon and crinkle paper make this this homemade diaper cake so cute!
44. How to make a truck diaper cake.
45. I love the crinkly paper in this tutorial about how to make a diaper cake with 3 tiers!
46. Another fun variation: how to make a motorcycle diaper cake.
47. Another DIY motorcycle diaper cake!
48. How to make a baby carriage diaper cake.
49. See how to use toilet paper as the base in this this make-your-own diaper cake.
50. These mini diaper cakes are fantastic!
51. Bonus!! How to make a 3-layer diaper cake.
Have you made a diaper cake before? If you did, did you use really great instructions? Feel free to share any links to resources you used in the comments below!