When I was younger, I was always searching the dinner table for those mashed potato substitutes and alternatives. Call me crazy, but I seriously did not like mashed potatoes. Now that I've grown up, I've become a normal woman with typical characteristics: I'm a mom, a homemaker, a wife and a carb addict!
Of course, since I challenged my own parents by being a picky eater, my kids seem to be following in my footsteps. Now they're the ones who turn their noses up at potatoes and scan the buffet for mashed potato substitutes!
When I reflect upon my own childhood tastes and how they've changed as I've grown up, I like to reassure myself that my kids will come to like more food on their own time. Until then, I'm going to bring at least one of these mashed potato substitutes to the Thanksgiving table!
Before you leave to check out these amazing recipes, be sure to take a look at my easy Thanksgiving crafts featuring over 30 Thanksgiving crafts for preschoolers and toddlers!
Mashed Potato Substitutes
1. Bruleed (or not) Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes. These can be made in individual portions or as a casserole.
5. Loaded Mashed Cauliflower with bacon, sour cream and cheese.
6. Gorgonzola Mashed Potato Latkes with Jalepeno Apple Relish
7. Individual Au Gratin Potatoes made in muffin cups!
10. Boerenkool Stamppot (Kale Mash Pot). This is one of those true mashed potato substitutes–a traditional Dutch dish made with vegetables and smoked sausage.
Do you love mashed potatoes? Will you be making any mashed potato substitutes over the holiday season?