As we approach the last month of summer, it gets harder and harder to find things to do with babies and kids that don’t cost a lot of money. This is from a friend who put together a list of ways to have frugal fun in the summertime!
Ideas for Summer Fun on a Budget
In this economy you may be watching your spending quite a bit, but you still want to have fun without breaking the bank! Here are a few ideas from my family to yours!
- Go on a picnic: Sandwiches or a snack at a park, playground, or even the backyard can be a fun change of scenery!
- Take a hike or walk – In your neighborhood or on a local trail or boardwalk
- Use coupons for local attractions – visit your beau of tourism (sometimes they have coupons for local attractions) or check the internet before going.
- Take a trip to the library and check out books, dvds, videos, magazines, and cds.
- Have a movie (think Red Box or your library) and homemade pizza party night (with my favorite Kitchenaid pizza dough recipe)!
- Make homemade ice cream (try homemade birthday cake ice cream or this s’mores ice cream recipe). It’s easy even if you don’t have your own ice cream maker!
- Go to the beach and bring your own snacks and drinks in a cooler.
- Try out a new playground in your area.
- Turn on the sprinkler, fill that kiddy pool, or make up some water balloons to mix up outdoor fun.
- Start a lemonade stand with your kids.
- Instead of going out for dinner, have a simple supper then venture out for ice cream or another dessert.
- Have a pot luck and BBQ at your house or park to have fun with family or friends and stay within your budget
- See if there are any free events in your area. Often times, local colleges have free concerts or festivals.
- Visit the farmers market. There’s so much more than produce there!
- Give each of your kids a dollar and hit up some garage sales.
- Go to a discount movie
- Have an arts and crafts day – perfect for a rainy day!
- Invite friends and kids over to play for a day of fun!
Readers, how are you beating the boredom on a budget throughout the summer? Please leave a comment and share your ideas!