Looking for superhero lesson plans? Marvel's Black Panther is now available on Blu-ray, DVD and digital HD, and I'm celebrating with a set of free printable Black Panther lesson plans!
Keep reading for this brand new superhero lesson plan!
Related – More lesson plans based on movies:
About Black Panther:
Marvel Studios’ Black Panther, the highly celebrated story of T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman), a young African prince who takes on the mantle of King and Super Hero, has thrilled and inspired generations of moviegoers around the globe. Now, fans can bring home the phenomenon, packed with light-hearted fun, pulse-pounding action and a powerful message, and watch it over and over again.
Never-before-seen Black Panther extras include:
- commentary from director Ryan Coogler
- Deleted scenes from Black Panther
- Outtakes from Black Panther
- Featurette: The evolution of the Black Panther
- Featurette: The remarkable women of Wakanda
- Featurette: The history of T’Challa’s nation of Wakanda
- Featurette: The the origin and technological applications of vibranium.
Also included in the 4k Cinematic Universe Edition of the film are:
- A roundtable discussion with Black Panther filmmakers and writers
- A featurette mapping the countless connections between Marvel heroes
- Characters and storylines within the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- An exclusive sneak peek at the upcoming Ant-Man and the Wasp.
The global cultural phenomenon of Black Panther has dominated the box office charts emerging as the third biggest movie of all time domestically with over $665 million – the first film in eight years to spend five weeks at No. 1 – and rising to the global top 10 of all time with over $1.3 billion.
In the acclaimed movie, T’Challa returns home after the death of his father to the hidden advanced African nation of Wakanda to succeed to the throne and take his rightful place as king. But when a man named Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan) appears, T’Challa’s fortitude as king — and as Black Panther — is tested when he’s drawn into a formidable conflict that puts the fate of Wakanda and the entire world at risk.
Pitted against his own family, the king must rally his allies and release the full power of Black Panther to defeat his foes and embrace his future as an Avenger.
The film features a fierce group of Wakandan women, including Nakia (Academy Award® winner Lupita Nyong’o), a War Dog and Wakandan spy; Shuri (Letitia Wright), T’Challa’s younger sister and tech wizard; and the all-female Wakandan Special Forces known as Dora Milaje, led by Okoye (Danai Gurira).
The warriors of Wakanda and the family of T'Challa team up with reluctant ally CIA agent Everett K. Ross (Martin Freeman) to help T’Challa defend Wakanda against the forces threatening to destroy it.
The extraordinary ensemble cast of Black Panther also includes these veteran and standout actors:
- Angela Bassett as Ramonda, T’Challa and Shuri’s mother
- Forest Whitaker as Zuri, the spiritual leader of Wakanda
- Andy Serkis as Ulysses Klaue, an illegal arms dealer
- Daniel Kaluuya as W’Kabi, Royal Counsel to T’Challa
- Winston Duke as M’Baku, the formidable leader of the Jabari tribe
- Sterling K. Brown as N’Jobu, a Wakandan War Dog.
The action in Black Panther is intensified through a musical score by composer Ludwig Göransson and a soundtrack curated and produced by Kendrick Lamar and Anthony “Top Dawg” Tiffith of Billboard magazine.
Black Panther: The Album topped the Billboard 200 chart for five consecutive weeks. The track in Black Panther's end-credits, All The Stars, featuring Lamar and SZA, spent nine weeks in the top 10 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.
Black Panther lesson plans
It's very well known that Black Panther is an awesome movie, and it's so much more than a superhero film. I love that there are so many themes that can be integrated into the classroom!
I also love that kids don't need to see the movie in order to bring it into the classroom. The central ideas of Black Panther can be communicated (without spoilers!) while still teaching important subjects.
Teachable themes in Black Panther
Themes in Black Panther that can be brought into the classroom include:
- Diversity, race and cultural represenation
- Feminism and the representation of women
- Global responsibility
- Environmentalism and responsibility
- Family and relationships
Unfortunately, not all of these themes are covered in this Black Panther lesson plan. But several of them are!
Themes in this Black Panther Lesson Plan
- Character, strength and accomplishments
- Self-reflection, family, personal history, values and goals
- Art in nature
- Natural resources
- Wildlife and extinction
I think you'll find that these Black Panther lesson plans are entertaining enough to keep students engaged but also thought-provoking and interesting!
The lesson plans can be used before, during or after watching the movie, but they can all definitely be utilized even if kids haven't watched Black Panther at all!
Get your Black Panther lesson plans here!
Save these Black Panther lesson plans for later and share them with friends by saving this image on Pinterest:
Please note: My Black Panther lesson plans and educator's guide are free printables. They were provided for me by Disney and Marvel Studios expressly to share with you. They should not be sold or mass distributed.